Wednesday, November 27, 2013

I WILL learn....

SPANISH! I will learn Spanish.  

(PS. It took me like...5 minutes to remember how to sign in to my very own blog......cricket cricket...this blogging might take a while to get used to. NBD. Cause I obviously figured it out. :) 

But anyways. Yes, I'm going to learn Spanish! Now that I've said that like 5 times now, I'll explain.  

First off, DNI (The "mission board" we're going under) I think requires taking like a year of Spanish before you move to LA. I could be wrong, but that's just what I remember hearing/reading. So here we are like a month from moving, not knowing any Spanish. Except like gracias and de nada and espanol...I could so not get by with those words. 

Now here is an exciting part. My former boss, Kent Lapp, was super gracious by giving us his Rosetta Stone program! All I've heard about that program is great things...it's apparently the way to go when learning Spanish.  But me and Dustin have kind of lacked commitment to it yet (Don't worry, Kent. We'll use it. :). I'm guessing we'll start once we're actually out there.  

Now here is a sad story. The other day I was at the post office and there was a young Mexican (I guess?) guy in front of me.  He was just kind of mumbling something and the clerk said, "OH! You're waiting on a fax! Well, I don't have one. Nothing recently came through." Silence. Then more mumbling from the guy.  "Oh you want to fax something?".  More mumbling. Super broken English.  "I'm sorry, honey, I just can't understand you." Then she looks around the room and says, "Does anyone here know Spanish?" And you know what? No one did! He just turned around and left.  He looked kind of frustrated/defeated/embarrassed.  

CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW FRUSTRATING THAT WOULD BE?? 

I felt so bad for him! So that's when I reminded myself that I AM learning Spanish..someday...SOON. 

Keep us accountable, guys! 



1 comment:

  1. The part of you taking 5 minutes to get in to your account made me laugh. I have been attempting to start a blog for a few months now and every time I would set one up, I would forget the password or e-mail address I used. Or which blog name I came up with, or even if it was with wordpress or blogger, ect. So, after going to wordpress, trying to sign in with 3 different e-mail addresses, who knows how many different passwords, a few different blog names, ect. And then going over to blogger and trying the same thing, I finally decided to write everything down on a piece of paper. Why did it take me so long to do that??!! Now, wheres my paper?? lol... ~Sherri

    NBO
    n

    ReplyDelete